Baptisms at Old North Church
A Collect at Baptism
Almighty God, by our baptism into the death and resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ, you turn us from the old life of sin: Grant that we, being reborn to new life in him, may live in righteousness and holiness all our days; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, on God, now and for ever. Amen.
At Old North Church, we believe that baptism is the beginning of a lifelong journey in the Christian faith. We welcome all that are interested in beginning that spiritual journey for themselves or on behalf of their children.
The Episcopal Book of Common Prayer states:
Holy Baptism is the full initiation by water and the Holy Spirit into Christ’s Body the Church. The bond which God establishes in Baptism is indissoluble.
Holy Baptism is appropriately administered within the Eucharist as the chief service on a Sunday or other feast. Holy Baptism is especially appropriate at the Easter Vigil, on the Day of Pentecost, on All Saints’ Day or the Sunday after All Saints’ Day, and on the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord (the First Sunday after the Epiphany).
Each candidate for Holy Baptism is to be sponsored by one or more baptized persons. Sponsors of adults and older children present their candidates and thereby signify their endorsement of the candidates and their intention to support them by prayer and example in their Christian life. Sponsors of infants, commonly called godparents, present their candidates, make promises in their own names, and also take vows on behalf of their candidates. It is fitting that parents be included among the godparents of their own children. Parents and godparents are to be instructed in the meaning of Baptism, in their duties to help the new Christians grow in the knowledge and love of God, and in their responsibilities as members of his Church.
Guests are welcome to worship at Old North Church. Seating is always available, although we advise worshippers to arrive early for Christmas Eve and Easter.
Visiting choirs often sing and worship during services. Call the Church Office at (617) 523-6676 for more information concerning choir visits.
- Baptisms are only held on Sundays or at the Easter Vigil.
- The preferred dates for baptisms are: the Easter Vigil (early spring), Pentecost (late spring), All Saints Sunday (early November), and the Feast of the Baptism of Our Lord (early January).
- Baptism is available to members of the church and their children and grandchildren or
- Baptism is available to anyone or their children who attend church at least three times prior to the baptism.
- Adults or parents of children being baptized must meet with a clergy person at least once prior to the baptism.
- There is no fee for baptism. Thank offerings to the church are gratefully accepted.
For more information contact the church office at (617) 523-6676 or via email.