Throughout the ages, burial of the dead on church grounds has been a common practice. In 1732, nine years after the Christ Church opened its doors, the congregation built tombs below the nave. Crypt burial stopped in the middle of the 19th century when the City of Boston forbade the practice of burying bodies underneath public buildings.
The desire of many to have their earthly remains kept in or near a church still continues to this day. To provide a church setting for burial in the 21st century, Old North has a beautifully constructed Columbarium underneath the chancel of
the church which offers an elegant, serene setting for cremated remains.
The Columbarium is open to people of all faiths from around the world. Niches can be purchased in advance, or at the time of need.
This historic place, standing as it does for the enduring values on which our nation is built while nurturing the faith which asserts the continuing fellowship of the living and the dead, provides a special setting for the remains of those who have died.
Pricing and Policies
- Current niche price is $3,000 and must be paid in full before cremains are received for placement.
- Purchase price includes the niche, the urn, the slate placed on the outside of the niche and the engraving of the slate, the opening of the niche, the placing if the remains in the urn, and closing of the niche. Each niche carries the same price, regardless
of location. The purchaser may choose the location.
- Cremated remains must be placed in the urn provided by Old North, and the Old North staff will place cremains in the urn. No other urn may be used.
- A slate cover for the outside of the niche is provided by Old North. The cover will list name and dates of birth and death. Any additional text must be approved by the Old North staff and should not exceed one hundred characters. No other covering or
decoration may be used. Engraving of the slate is arranged by the Old North staff.
- Flowers may be placed within the Columbarium at the discretion of the church staff, but no other items may be placed in the Columbarium. No items (flowers, photographs, etc.) of any sort may be attached to a niche.
- Niches may not be shared … one niche required for the remains of each individual interred in the columbarium.
- Niches may not be resold.
- A niche or niches may be purchased by contacting the Old North Church Administrator by telephone: 617 523 6676, x101, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Book of Common Prayer….
Father of all, we pray to you for those we love, but see no longer: Grant them your peace; let light perpetual shine upon them; and, in your loving wisdom and almighty power, work in them the good purpose of your perfect will; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
O God, the King of saints, we praise and glorify your holy Name for all your servants who have finished their course in your faith and fear: for the blessed Virgin Mary; for the holy patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs; and for all your other righteous servants, known to us and unknown; and we pray that, encouraged by their examples, aided by their prayers, and strengthened by their fellowship, we also may be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light; through the merits of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Almighty God, Father of mercies and giver of comfort: Deal graciously, we pray, with all who mourn; that, casting all their care on you, they may know the consolation of your love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.