Last month we asked you to find the Sounding Board in the church and answer the question “What would you bring to church to decorate your pew?” We had so many responses that we had to select a sampling of answers, some serious and some … not so serious. So, this first Sound Off for June’s Sounding Board features both thoughtful and hilarious responses!
The following are a sampling of some of the more realistic furnishings visitors wanted in their pews listed by categorizations in no particular order.
- Items of physical comfort: pillows, blankets, tapestries, carpeting, fan, water bed, massage chair, mini fridge
- Items of atmosphere: candles, incensePaintings, books, pillows, and blankets
- Religious items: a cross, Book of Common Prayer, Book of Mormon, the spirit of God, Jesus Christ’s name
- Items of emotional comfort: stuffed animals, pets, family members
- Decorative items: paintings, pictures of family, lanterns to “keep the Midnight Ride Theme”
- Decorative tools: glitter, paper, pencils, markers
A special shout-out to the visitor who not only listed the items he/she wanted, but clearly knew EXACTLY what colors and designs came to mind. What, no hand drawn rendering as well?
- Red pained seats, gold cushions, and brown tasseled pillows, a brown carpet, gold umbrella stand, and bibles and hymnals
Now for the more light-hearted suggestions, in each contributor’s actual words:
- A wine cellar, beer fridge, popcorn, cheese plate, and TV w/ ABC Family
- A mini fridge with a never-ending supply of hot wings and Batman drapes
- Pig stickers, a PS4, a French Horn, Aroma Joes, and a horse named “Buddy”
- Physics equations, “bunnies and buddies”, a llama, and pizza
- Glitter and ice cream
- Pew walls lined with money or alligator skin
- The Moonlight book series, a rope swing from the balcony, and sushi
- Andrew Rannells
- Fandom trash to wallow in
- “Mr Ruben”
- A gate, bed, food, chainsaw, gas, and other zombie apocalypse necessities
- A girl
- Books. Lots of books. My entire bed as well.
- Draymond Green
- Not my sister. -Daniel
- A Tumblr-worthy pew
- A computer so I can watch Game of Thrones in God’s House and hopefully he can help out the characters
Our Lead Educator Bernard Trubowitz had a blast combing through the numerous sticky notes with responses and selecting the ones you see here. After reviewing them yourself, which one(s) resonates with you the most? Share your comments below.