By Linda Greene
Archived from April 14th, 2017
Spring has sprung! With just a few ingredients, and some helpful bunny hands, you will have a festive Easter/springtime treat in no time.
Chocolate Macaroon Birds Nests
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Yields: About 20 macaroons
- Electric or hand mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1-14oz. package of sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup American Heritage Historic Chocolate Drink Mix
- Filling for your nests: Marshamallow Peeps, Jelly beans, chocolate eggs, etc.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together vanilla, salt and eggs in a large bowl at a high speed until the eggs are light and foamy.
- In a mediuim bowl, stir the American Heritage Chocolate Drink Powder into the coconut.
- Fold coconut mixture into the eggs
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of the coconut dough and firmly squeeze them into balls.
- To make a birds nest, use your thumb and gently press an indentation in the top of the macaroon ball and pinch the sides of the macaroon to hold together
- Place the ball about 1-inch apart on the parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool on the parchment sheet or on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Fill and decorate your nests! Add some jelly beans, gum drops, raisins or M&M’s too.
And there you have it! A perfect edible decoration for your table. Enjoy!
To order the American Heritage Chocolate Drink and other American Heritage products shop on-line at The Old North Church Gift Shop at: http://old-north-church-gift-shop.myshopify.com/