Old North Church turns 300 in 2023 two years before celebrating the 250th anniversary of the beginning of the American Revolutionary War! Join us as we prepare for this special birthday with a major restoration of the church. Generous contributions from individuals like you will help us achieve our goal of $11,000,000. No donation is too large or small to support the preservation of this enduring symbol of American freedom.
Our mission is to teach America’s revolutionary history and promote our shared values of liberty, justice, patriotism, and community. As Old North prepares to celebrate her tercentennial and the nation’s sestercentennial, the Old North Foundation seeks to ensure that the Old North Church will stand as a beacon of hope for the next 300 years. The Old North Foundation has studied the current preservation needs of the Old North Church and continues to study potential improvements for the surrounding half-acre campus.
Participate in a significant campaign to protect and preserve Boston’s oldest surviving church building for generations to come.
$11M Campaign Goals
- Bring church systems up to code by installing new electrical, ventilation, fire suppression, lighting, telecommunications, and sound systems.
- Replaster and repaint interior surfaces using a color palette to accurately reflect the colonial period.
- Restore cherished fine art objects, including 20 painted cherubs currently covered by several layers of paint.
- Restore the 37 tombs in the church crypt, adding moisture controls to mitigate future decay. Add new interpretive signage and lighting to improve the visitor experience.
- Renovate the church’s exterior, including masonry repointing, painting of the steeple and windows, and repairing the slate roof.
- Remodel the Washington Garden and Courtyard to create an outdoor classroom focused on a display of the poem “Paul Revere’s Ride” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
- Create a $2,000,000 preservation endowment to ensure the Old North Church’s survival for another 300 years.
The Old North Foundation, the 501(c)3 secular nonprofit steward of the Old North Historic Site, will receive and manage funds raised as part of this restoration campaign. The Old North Foundation promotes values of freedom, liberty, and civic engagement through the interpretation and preservation of the Old North Church, an enduring symbol of American independence. The Foundation serves a wide audience by creating meaningful experiences through educational outreach, site-specific programming, and historical analysis. Christ Church in the City of Boston is an active Episcopal Church and partner in preservation with the Old North Foundation.
Every gift matters! Thank you for your support.