We believe marriage to be a sacramental rite and a holy union. “Old North” is an active Episcopal church where people have worshiped in the Anglican tradition for nearly 300 years. Weddings conducted here are religious ceremonies in which couples make their vows in a context of love and prayer and in the presence of God. Please review the guidelines and information posted on this site. To inquire about availability, please contact our Parish Office. You may also complete the form at the bottom of the page.
Our administrative and clergy staff is happy to answer your questions and guide you through the process of preparing for your marriage. Below are guidelines that apply to all weddings that take place at Old North Church:
1. Old North is an Episcopal Church. While we welcome couples who are not Episcopalians, all weddings at Old North are conducted by a priest on our staff and must use an approved Episcopal liturgy and meet these requirements:
a. At least one member of the couple must be a baptized Christian.
b. The ceremony must be attested by at least two witnesses.
c. The marriage must conform to the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Canons of the Episcopal Church.
2. Same sex couples are welcome to be married at Old North Church.
3. At least 6 months notice is required to book a date.
4. Premarital counseling (3-4 sessions) with a member of the clergy is required.
5. Marriage ceremonies are ONLY held at or after 6:00 pm, by candlelight.
6. Guest clergy may assist in the ceremony with permission of our clergy.
7. Old North can seat up to 400 guests.
8. It is expected that couples married at Old North Church be local to the Boston area to facilitate counseling and planning of the ceremony. Out-of-state couples must meet in person with a member of the clergy before a date can be secured, to view the church and arrange for approved pre-marital counseling to be done in their area.
9. In the case of a prior marriage ending in divorce,
a. Permission to solemnize the marriage must be sought from the Bishop of Massachusetts
at least 45 days before the date of the wedding. Clergy will assist you with this process.
b. All counseling must be completed at least 3 months before the date of the wedding.
c. If this is the 3rd or greater marriage, outside pre-marital counseling by a licensed therapist
is required at your expense. This is in addition to the counseling provided by our clergy.
The fee for a wedding at Old North is $3,250 for non-members and $2250 for pledging, active members of the Old North Church’s Episcopal congregation. This Fee includes the following:
- Rehearsal and ceremony in the church with candle-lit chandeliers.
- Clergy staff for up to four counseling sessions, the rehearsal, and wedding ceremony.
- Organist for ceremony.
- Sexton who serves as wedding coordinator for rehearsal and ceremony.
- The church’s peal of bells can be rung at the end of the ceremony for $300, paid directly to the bell ringers. This is arranged through the church office.
- The first floor of the Parish House may be used the afternoon of the wedding. The spaces used must be completely cleared and straightened prior to leaving. There is a $150 deposit required if the Parish House is used. The deposit will be refunded if the spaces used are left clean.
Prior to confirming a wedding date, the couple must meet in person with a member of the Old North clergy. If all are in agreement that the wedding will take place at Old North, a $500 non-refundable deposit is paid and the date is held. The final payment ($2750 non-member; $1750 member) must be made before or at the final counseling session.
Transportation and Parking
There is no street parking available. Space in front of the church is generally secured for one limousine and possibly one additional car. The car(s) cannot be left unattended. The nearest parking facility is the North End Parking Garage — entrance at 600 Commercial Street. We recommend couples use Old Town Trolley to transport guests from and to their reception venue.
Wedding Inquiry Form