This lesson provides students with context for understanding where the Old North’s role in the Revolution falls in relation to other important events leading up to the war. It also encourages students to think critically about circumstances leading toward the War for Independence.
Meets the following Massachusetts Frameworks for History and Social Science:
- 5.CS.1 – Identify different ways of dating historical narratives (17th century, seventeenth century, 1600s, colonial period). (H)
- 5.CS.2 – Interpret timelines of events studied. (H)
- 5.CS.3 – Observe and identify details in cartoons, photographs, charts, and graphs relating to an historical narrative. (H, E, C)
- 5.14 – Explain the development of colonial governments and describe how these developments contributed to the Revolution. (H, E, C)
- 5.15 – Explain the reasons for the French and Indian War, how it led to an overhaul of British imperial policy, and the colonial response to these policies. (H, C, E)